The birth center is stocked with the necessary medications and equipment to handle most birth emergencies. If you have an emergency and need to go to a hospital, please call the on-call midwife so that she may fax your records. If a medical condition or other factor prevents birth at Best Start, care will be transferred to a hospital where we know the providers will take good care of you and your family. Ask your insurance which hospitals they cover. Your midwife will help you choose a back-up provider from the following options for the event that pregnancy or birth become high risk.
Scripps Mercy Hospital
- The closest hospital – all birth center emergencies are transferred here.
- 24/7 coverage of obstetricians and nurses will care for you.
- You may contact the hospital for a tour if desired: 619-260-7231
- 4077 Fifth Ave, San Diego CA 92103 (main entrance, proceed to elevators in back of lobby, go to 3rd floor Labor & Delivery, don’t enter via ER)
Sharp Grossmont Hospital
- 24/7 coverage of obstetricians and nurses will care for you. You may be able to personally select your backup doctor, talk to the midwives about this option.
- Known for being one of the least interventive San Diego hospitals.
- You may contact the hospital for a tour if desired: 1-800-82-SHARP
- 5555 Grossmont Center Dr, La Mesa CA 91942 (follow driving signs for Women’s Health Center direct entrance – don’t enter main or ER)
Balboa Naval Medical Center
- Your care will usually be from a Certified Nurse Midwife.
- Tricare insurance only for Navy members or beneficiaries.
- You may contact the hospital for a tour if desired: 619-532-7082
- 34800 Bob Wilson Drive, San Diego CA 92134 (labor & delivery, not ER)
Kaiser San Diego Medical Center
- Kaiser insurance only. 24/7 coverage of obstetricians & nurses.
- You have already started prenatal care at a Kaiser office; they will register you and set you up with a Labor & Delivery Unit tour if desired.
- 9455 Clairemont Mesa Blvd, San Diego CA 92123 (Don’t enter through ER)
Outside San Diego
- If you are located outside of San Diego or can’t get to one of the above hospitals, proceed to the closest hospital with maternity services.