Spring is about new beginnings, growth, and change. It’s the perfect time to prioritize self-care and our health!
World Health Day *April 7th
Black Maternal Health week (April 11th through April 17th)
Self-care doesn’t have to be anything time consuming or expensive (unless that’s what you want!). You can make a big impact on resetting and rejuvenating how you feel without spending any money at all. All it really takes is being mindful about doing something that’s just for you.
Here are ten easy (and free!) ways to prioritize your self-care this month:
- Prioritize rest. Take time to rest when you have it. Let any tasks that aren’t time sensitive wait. Instead of doing extra tidying or work when your day is over, take the time to simply rest. The laundry can wait. Rest is a valuable part of your to-do list, too.
- Catch up with friends. Do a video chat or phone call if your time is short or distance separates you. Leaning on your support system is one of the best ways to care for yourself.
- Change your scenery. Simply getting outside for some fresh air on a walk or working from a cafe instead of home can be just what you need to shake up your routine.
- Nourish your body with good food. Whether it’s a home cooked meal or takeout delivery, eat something you’re excited about and take the time to enjoy the meal.
- Watch your favorite show or read something interesting. Sometimes immersing yourself in a good story is a great distraction. (If you need an idea on what to read, you can check out the American Association of Birth Centers’ weekly news brief here!)
- Say NO when you need to! Sometimes the best self-care is learning to do less and say no when you’re at your limit. Say no to extra obligations when you’re feeling overwhelmed and say yes to asking others for help when you need it.
- Unplug for some space. Put your phone on silent and put it down. Let yourself be inaccessible for a little while to give your mind a break.
- Take a long shower or bath. Make it all about relaxing and let it reset both your mind and body.
- Try meditation or yoga. There are many free videos for both online.
- Surround yourself with people who make you feel great. From your friends to your health care providers, actively choose to spend your time around people who minimize your stress and make you happy.
Take care of yourself… you deserve it!